Well there is another meme on planet ubuntu and this one is about the name of your computers. I typically name my computers after different ways of saying NULL in different programing languages. I currently have:
- MinusOne – This is my main computer. -1 is a way sometimes used to mark an int as NULL.
- NaN – This is my laptop, a dell inspiron 1300 … also my battery is dead if anyone knows where I can get a cheap one in Canada that would be great. NaN stands for not a number in matlab.
- Void – This is my current test box. I’m not really sure if void is used in any programing languages but it seemed to me like a synonym to NULL.
In the past I have also had:
- NULL – This was my first linux computer and the mother board died.
- Zero – A laptop that no longer works. Zero is also used as a NULL value.
I also have three devices that currently do not follow this naming convention:
- xo – This is my OLPC XO this computer came whith that name and I have not changed any of the default settings on it.
- Neo – This is my work computer, named after Neo from the matrix. When I have more than one work computer I use other matrix character this helps me keep my work machines seperated from my personal computers since some of them travel with me and spend a lot of time on my home network.
- DD-WRT – This is my router and yes it is using the DD-WRT firmware. The DD-WRT firmware is a great way to get all the power out of your router. I only just started using this and would love to get some neat tips and tricks or other recomendations that people find better and why.
Lastly I have one virtual computer:
- earobinson-PC – This is my vista box, this is the name vista gave it, and I hardly use it so it can stay like that. (Well the last time I used it was to check out google chrome)
So what do you name your computers? Also I do intend to recycle the no longer used names but if anyone has any ideas for more ways of saying NULL I would love to hear them so far the only unused one I have is None from python.